Post a photographic square* daily for one month every quarter.
The theme changes every quarter and is announced in a post on this blog a few weeks, occasionally days, in advance. In the lead up to every squares challenge you will find a countdown timer on my home page, but just in case you want to make a note of all the months they are: January, April, July & October.
Actually you don’t have to share daily. If you prefer you can post all 31 (or 30) in one go at the end of the month, join us weekly or even pop in occasionally with your squares. The frequency of your posts depends on you and your blog.
How it works:
- Create your square post, and include a pingback to one of my daily square posts (not this page or the home page as otherwise I don’t know about your ping!)
- You can also add the link to your post in the comments on any of my square posts
- To make it easy for others to find you and to generate interest do include the theme’s tag (sometimes this may be the only way I can find you too)
- You can also use one of my squares logos to promote the challenge
- Remember to ‘follow my blog’ to receive your quarterly reminders
- Be an amazing member of the square gang, whether you post squares or not, by making time to enjoy one or more of the square galleries
- And do leave a comment on mine as well as your link!
The only absolute rule though
is your main photograph must be square* in shape!
Other Useful Information:
The challenge began in September 2017, and there are now around seventy of us taking part every quarter.
My post of the day usually goes live between 5am and 7am GMT. Pingbacks need to be approved, which means occasionally there can be a small delay in your link appearing in the comments. I aim to visit every pingback/link, so if I have not liked or left a comment on your post within four days of you posting let me know.
At least thrice during the challenge month I share a selection of pingbacks in a gallery. It is a great way to catch up with fellow squarers, to make new blogging friends and to find inspiration. It also, we’ve discovered, makes us happy!
Below you will find a list of the galleries for every month we have played the challenge.
- 2019 (NB months changed mid year hence only three themes)
By the way if you would like a mention and link to your posts to be included in one of the galleries it is essential your photographs are square*. For other shaped blogging challenges visit Cee who has collated a wonderful list of regular challenges.
* Why square? It is not that I dislike oblongs with their unequal adjacent sides, in fact they are how I normally photograph. This daily challenge however is all about square photography (and square crops). So before you post please remember whilst every square is a rectangle only four equal sides make a rectangle a square!